To participate in this CCA rock-climbing activity, you must:
- Be 18 years or over, or 16 years and over and accompanied by a legal guardian,
- Have had experience in rock-climbing and related outdoor activities. At a minimum this experience must include climbing at an indoor climbing gym where instruction and approval has been given to belay,
- Have read, understood and signed this waiver, and
- Be a current financial member of the CCA.
Before you join this CCA rock-climbing activity, it is important that you to read and understand the following safety warnings:
- Climbing is an intrinsically dangerous activity. You could be seriously injured or killed, even by events beyond your control, by taking part in climbing activities.
- Climbing is a team activity. It is typical for people with whom you are climbing to hold your life in their hands (e.g. belaying). Only climb with people you trust. If you are not sure, then don’t climb.
- The safety issues relevant to climbing outdoors are totally different to those involved with indoor gym climbing. The CCA encourages the use of safe climbing practices, but any climbing you undertake with the CCA is at your own risk.
- The CCA cannot guarantee your safety on climbing trips or other Association activities. You are personally responsible for your own safety, which includes choosing where and what you climb, what gear you use (whether it’s yours or anyone else’s), and with whom you climb.
- The CCA strongly recommends that you engage professional instruction and courses to learn and improve your safety and technical skills.
- It is a requirement that all participants on Association trips wear climbing helmets at all times whilst climbing or belaying, or whenever above or below a cliff.
- In participating in this CCA activity the Association accepts no responsibility for the above or for the acts, omissions or defaults of any of its members or other persons.
- The CCA does not hold any insurance policy for personal injury or public liability. It is strongly recommended that participants take out their own personal injury insurance cover that will cover them in the event of a climbing accident.
By signing this waiver, I acknowledge that I am aware that my participation in this activity may expose me to risk that could lead to injury, illness or death or to loss of or damage to my property.
These risks may include but are not limited to: muscle strains and broken limbs, brain damage, hypothermia, dehydration, sunburn, exposure to heights, exposure to cold and/or bad weather including wind and rain, slippery and/or uneven surfaces, equipment failure, failure to use the equipment correctly, loose rocks, falling rocks/equipment, unstable cliff edges, falling at edges of cliffs or drops, group being delayed and/or disorientated, vehicle traffic, actions of participants and/or spectators and/or members of the public.
To minimise these risks, I have endeavoured to ensure that:
- This activity is within my capabilities and I am carrying food, water and equipment and wearing clothing and footwear appropriate for this activity;
- I have advised the trip leader if I am taking any medication or have any physical or other limitation that might affect my participation in this activity. I do not believe that my medication or limitations will prevent me from successfully completing this activity;
- I am not under the influence of alcohol;
- I will make every effort to remain with the rest of the party during the activity and accept the instructions of the trip leader of the activity;
- I will note any risk warnings given prior to or during the trip;
- I will advise the trip leader of any illness/injury/misadventure which may/will affect my ability to participate during the trip which requires medical attention;
- I have read or heard and understand these requirements;
- I have considered the risks before choosing to sign this Risk Waiver form; and
- I still wish to join the activity.
I agree by signing this form to waive any claim for damages arising from this activity that I may have against the club, the trip leader or other participants in tort or contract. In the event of my death, this waiver will bind my estate.
Guardian Name (if applicable)_________________________
Guardian Signature ____________________________________