- This event has passed.
Integral Crack – 50 years celebration
Peter Cocker and Peter Aitchison made the first ascent of Integral Crack, at Booroomba Rocks, on 11 July 1969. At the time, it was one of the hardest climbs in Australia (Ewbank’s The Janicepts (21) had a point of aid at the time).
The climb is described as “A classic by any standards. The best line at Booroomba, and one of the best climbs…” in the ACT Granite climbing guidebook (1997, edited by John Churchill and Mike Peck).
Please join us in celebrating rock climbing at Booroomba Rocks, featuring Peter Cocker and the first ascent of Integral Crack.
Highlights of the day
- Saturday mid-morning: an open chat around the campfire with Peter Cocker and other climbers who have been instrumental in the development of Booroomba Rocks, and a display of historic climbing gear; this will be held in the picnic area at the top of Booroomba Rocks, and a delicious morning tea will be provided (BYO cups and some water for the billy, please, and BYO lunch!)
- Saturday afternoon: a celebratory climb of the Integral Crack route by one of CCA’s longstanding members, with a commentary by Peter Cocker
- Saturday night: camp at Honeysuckle Camp Ground; camping fees for CCA members will be covered IF YOU REGISTER BEFOREHAND – see details below)
- All day Saturday and Sunday: an opportunity to climb the routes at Booroomba Rocks (please note that there will be NO GUIDED CLIMBING for this event)
- Recording of anecdotes and oral history, at opportune moments throughout the day
- A video recording of Peter’s story
- Possible magazine article and photos by nature photographer and lifelong bushwalker, naturalist, climber and conservationist, Ian Brown.
Registration and further information
For more information, to register for Saturday night camping, or to volunteer to help out, please contact the organisers listed below.